Saturday, June 7, 2008

College student volunteering in South Africa

I came across an interesting story about a University of Manitoba student who spent four months doing various volunteer projects in South Africa. Christine, the student, provided a good analysis of the value of this kind of trip:

“I think this kind of volunteering is important because it gives the people hope. It shows them that the outside world does care and that there are people that do want to help. I think it’s also important for us to go there to do this kind of volunteering because it makes us feel connected to the problem. It makes it real.”

Whenever ASAH does a public event, we meet at least one person who says, "I'd really like to go to Sudan." The desire for Humanitarian Travel is palpable, and their are services available. The story focuses on Aviva; I have found Globe Aware and Cross Cultural Solutions.

No comments: